Friday, April 13, 2007

Mailbox Ups and Downs

The mailmain brought bad and good news today. I got a rejection that I'd been expecting from the Boston Theatre Marathon. Artistic Director Kate Snodgrass was kind enough to include a very nice personal note. I don't know how she does it. I've had plays in four previous Marathons, and it's been a very valuable experience. The Marathon is one of my very favorite theatrical events, with 50 ten-minute plays, by 50 New England writers, produced by 50 different theatre companies. The event has a tremendous positive energy, and it's a great way to check out work by so many actors and companies operating in my area. Hopefully I'll get a show in next year. (I also got a query rejection from Trinity Rep, but they said they'd look at more of my plays, so that's not so bad.)

On the plus side, I got a modest check (about $70) for a signing I did of Tornado Siren at Barnes & Noble in Worcester last August. (Talk about slow.) When you're a very small fish like me, sometimes you have to do signings on consignment (not ideal at all), and I managed to sell some books. Incoming funds are always good news. It mostly reminds me that I need to get off my butt and try hustling the book a little more again.

No comments: