Friday, April 3, 2009

A Day in the Life (or why I fall asleep at random moments)

Today was a little busier than normal today, because Tracy went to Connecticut to visit her parents, but still, it's not so atypical. I often finish (and sometimes start) the day pretty tired, and often wonder why (and my daughter teases me for falling asleep in front of the TV, or while reading stories to my son, etc.). Here was my day today:
  • Up at 5:30, because that's the only way I can get in a shower before everyone else needs to wake up for school/work.
  • Worked for 1/2 hour. Lately, it's just writing in my journal and answering a few e-mails. Once I start the new novel, I might get up at5am again, so I can write for a full hour in the early a.m.
  • Walked dog. Almost a mile (less than normal, because of the rain). Saw 5 wild turkeys--1 tom, and 4 hens.
  • Got up the kids, made breakfast (bagels and oatmeal), and shepherded them (mostly Noah. Kira is self-sufficient at age 14) through the process..
  • Walked Noah to school. (1 mile round tip)
  • Answered e-mails and read blogs (a.k.a. procrastinated)
  • Wrote 9 pages of new play, finishing a draft of a one-act for high schoolers. (It's rough and messy, but it's a first draft, so that's okay.)
  • Looked over, signed, and mailed contracts with a publisher for them to publish five of my short plays. (I'll make an official announcement once they actually sign on their end.)
  • Picked some of the layer of stuff from the floor of my son's room, because it was almost impassable due to various creative play projects that involved dumping out entire bins of toys and dress up clothes.
  • Got a full-length play submission ready to go (researched theatre, wrote cover letter, packed it all up.)
  • Walked to post office and bank (about 1 mile round trip)
  • Scouted out a site where we want to set up a community vegetable garden/art project. It's a strip of land about 200 feet long by 2 feet wide. More on this soon. Has potential to be really cool.
  • Dog out again (1/2 mile)
  • Lunch (leftovers, plus chocolate. I've been scarfing down these Hershey's Special Dark miniatures I bought yesterday. The bag won't make it through the night.) and reading newspaper.
  • Power nap. 20 minutes of heaven.
  • Read a book that I should have finished this week, but won't.
  • Answered more e-mail. Got inbox back down to single digits. Tweeted.
  • Got the word out about the Playwriting in 3D workshop I'm leading in 3 weeks, by posting to lists, blogging (see below), and e-mails.
  • Got a query about my novel ready and e-mailed to an agent.
  • Retrieved Noah from a play date at friend's house. (This play date bought me almost 2 hours of extra work time.) (1 mile round trip). Their house is neat, gorgeously decorated, and spotless, even though they have three kids under the age of 9. I immediately resolve that we must find a way to keep our house cleaner (realizing that this has no chance of actually happening).
  • Made two homemade pizzas (using our cool new pizza stone)
  • Dishes
  • Washed and folded 3 loads of laundry
  • Walked dog, with son in tow, despite the rain (3/4 miles)
  • Started looking at headshots used by other writers, because I have a photo session tomorrow morning, and I need to show them some examples of how I might want the photo to look, or something. Just make me look cool, or intense, or friendly, or handsome, or something. I'm not used to being photographed like this and am uncommonly nervous about it all (friends have been reassuring me online today).
  • Got son into shower and washed dishes (not in the same place, that would be gross).
  • Played 3 games of Rat-a-Tat-Cat (Noah is addicted to this card game) and one game of Set. Then read bedtime stories.
  • Wrote this blog post, and will soon watch Daily Show episodes and eat the rest of my chocolate, rather than making the grocery list for tomorrow's shopping. (Wishing there was a beer in the house.) Likely to fall asleep in front of the computer.

And that was my day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I need a nap after reading that!