Thursday, September 16, 2010

TCG's list of 2010-11 most produced playwrights

In their upcoming American Theatre season preview issue, TCG will list the top ten playwrights being produced by TCG-member theatres this upcoming season.  They are:

1. Patrick Barlow: 26 productions
2. Tracy Letts: 20
3. Sarah Ruhl: 19
4. Lynn Nottage: 17
5. August Wilson: 17
6. Annie Baker: 17
7. Tennessee Williams: 15
8. Steven Dietz: 15
9. Edward Albee: 15
10. George Bernard Shaw: 13


My first question was--who is Patrick Barlow?  Turns out he wrote the adaptation Alfred Hitchcock's 39 Steps (duh), which played in Boston in 2007, and now is all over the place.  Good for him.

Sarah Ruhl's play, In The Next Room (The Vibrator Play) opens this weekend here in Boston (I'm going to see it Saturday), at Lyric Stage.  Lynn Nottage's Ruined will be at the Huntington this season.  Three of Annie Baker's productions will be done here in Boston, starting October, in a nice collaborative effort between the Huntington, Speakeasy, and Company One.

It's been a while since I've seen a Steve Dietz play--I wonder when we'll next see him in Boston?

Someday, this is a list where I'd love to see my name.  A man can dream, right?  (I'd sure love to see another Boston playwright on that list, too.)

Speaking of playwrights that I'd like to see on this list, on poking around the TCG site, I also saw the list of 2010 Edgerton Foundation New American Play Awards, and I happened to see that my friend and fellow Rhombus playwright, Kirsten Greenidge, won one of the awards, which will support her upcoming production of Bossa Nova at Yale Repertory.  Way to go Kirsten!  (She's much too modest to actually mention this to anyone herself.)  (Keep watching that top ten list for Kirsten's name someday...)

No comments: